Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Comin' Out (Coming Out...clearly.)



So I'm working on a letter to send out to the ones I care about most. This is what I have so far:

Well...um...I'm transgender. Basically this is a medical condition, which I’m now told, would have developed a few months before my birth.

By the young age of 4 years old I was beginning to understand something was terribly wrong. I realised I was different and thought I was the only person in the world who felt that way. 

At the time I didn’t understand that I was transgendered. That is, a male mind in a female body. I didn’t even realise that such a condition could exist.

As I got older these feelings have become much more intense – and the thought of trying to live like this much longer is very distressing to me. To try to understand my condition I did some research.

I have found that this condition is genetic and there’s nothing I have done, or anything that could have been done, to change the outcome. It starts in the womb where different hormones (male, in my case) can flood the brain, compared to ones that act on the rest of the developing baby’s body (female). So it is possible to end up with a brain that’s been arranged for a male, within a body of a baby female.

This problem occurs for about 1 in 30,000 births to both male and female babies. This rate increased in the 1950s and 1960s where some mothers were given a drug called DES, which was prescribed to reduce the chances of stillbirth. It was later found it also had the effect of making this condition even more likely to occur. 

The effect is that although I had been born with a female body, I would really prefer to present myself (dress, look etc) as a male.

To this end I will probably be seeing doctors, psychiatrists, and endocrinologists a to make sure this is the right solution for me. I have already found resources in my area that will help me start hormone therapy. Later surgery will complete the process.

If you still want to be friends I understand that I’m going to be the subject of more than a little curiosity for quite some time to come. Believe me - if the tables were turned and it was you who would be changing, then I would be just as curious.

I would prefer you call me by my new name (Zay) and also use the pronoun ‘he’ when referring to me if you can. I get that there are will be many slip-ups and that won’t bother me at all. If you have any questions let me know.

I still love you and care for you,
ZayJODH

It's got a long way to go but it's a start. Here's a helpful link:

2 comments:

  1. My word of advice:

    - In the first line, make "trans" into "transgendered." Otherwise they may not fully get it for a minute.

    Otherwise I like it as is! Its simple and to the point. Mine was too long. At least I think so.

    ReplyDelete